URGENT APPEAL: Ref: UA P 02/ 06
22 September 2006
NAME: Itemad Ismail Abu Mo’ammar (35), Mohammad Suliman Abu Mo’ammar (28), Ala Saqer Dahrouj Abu Dahrouj (15); Zeidan Rafiq Mohammad Abu Rashid (16); Mohammad Selmi Mohammad Masalha (17).
VIOLATIONS: Unlawful Killings of Civilians In Gaza Strip
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please copy the letter below the Background information or write in your own words and send to:
Mr KOFI ANNAN, Secretary General of the United Nations email@example.com
OPTIONAL: PLEASE ALSO SEND APPEALS TO: Diplomatic Representatives of ISRAEL in your country. Link to ISRAEL Embassies worldwide
The Foreign Minister of your country – WORLD-WIDE Governments:
Please cut and paste and send this appeal to your mailing lists
21 September 2006 ; In less than 9 hours:
IOF Kill 5 Civilians in the Gaza Strip, including 3 Children, & Injures 7 others; Two of the Victims Bled to Death when IOF Prevented Ambulances from Rescuing them
Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) has used excessive force in the north and south of the Gaza Strip during a 9-hour span today, Thursday, 21 September 2006, resulting in the death of 5 Palestinian civilians and the injury of 7 others, including a father and 2 of his children. Two of the victims including a woman were killed in cold blood in Rafah. They were left to bleed to death inside their houses. The other 3 victims were children from the town of Jabalia who were killed by a surface-to-surface rocket as they were herding sheep.
PCHR’s preliminary investigation indicates that at approximately 1:20 on Thursday, 21 September 2006, IOF armored vehicles moved approximately 3 kilometers into the village of Um El-Naser, northeast of Rafah. The forces cut off the Khan Yunis-Rafah section of Salah El-Deen Road in the area. The force surrounded the house of Nathmi Hussein Zo’rob, a Hamas activist. IOF also fired indiscriminately at houses in the area. At approximately 2:00, IOF chased a number of youth who gathered in the area. The youth fled into a house; and IOF stormed the house, and beat the house owner who is deaf. When the man’s wife, Itemad Ismail Abu Mo’ammar (35), protested the attack, one of the soldiers fired directly at her. She was hit by multiple bullets in different parts of the body. She was left to bleed death in the house, and died at 6:00. IOF prevented a Palestinian ambulance from reaching the area to save the woman. Eight civilians were injured by the indiscriminate firing in the area, including a father and 2 of his children. At approximately 10:00, one of the injured, Mohammad Suliman Abu Mo’ammar (28), bled to death from gunshot wounds in the left thigh and right hand.
Palestinian medical sources informed PCHR’s fieldworker that IOF prevented Palestinian ambulances from entering the area of operations. In addition, IOF refused to coordinate the entry of emergency services with the Red Cross. Thus, two of the injured bled for more than four hours, leading to their death.
At approximately 12:30, IOF left the area after completely destroying 13 houses and the infrastructure in the area. In addition, IOF detained 5 civilians, including a 13-year old boy and the wife of the Hamas activist.
In another incident at approximately 8:50, IOF stationed along the Gaza Strip border to the east of Jabalia fired a surface-to-surface rocket at three children herding sheep in the Abu Safeyya area, east of Jabalia town. The area is located about 2 kilometers away from the border. The children were killed and their bodies torn to pieces. They are:
– Ala Saqer Dahrouj Abu Dahrouj (15);
– Zeidan Rafiq Mohammad Abu Rashid (16); and
– Mohammad Selmi Mohammad Masalha (17).
PCHR’s preliminary investigation indicates that, while herding, the children had come near an abandoned rocket stand used earlier by Palestinian gunmen to fire a homemade rocket. It is noted that another civilian was killed on 20 September in similar circumstances. Thus, the number of Palestinian civilians killed under similar circumstances over the past 3 months has reached 15 victims.
For more information please call PCHR office in Gaza, Gaza Strip, on +972 8 2824776 – 2825893, PCHR, 29 Omer El Mukhtar St., El Remal, PO Box 1328 Gaza, Gaza Strip. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Webpage http://www.pchrgaza.org
Mr KOFI ANNAN,
Secretary General of the United Nations email@example.com
Dear Mr Annan,
During a 9-hour span on Thursday, 21 September 2006, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) used excessive force in the north and south of the Gaza Strip, resulting in the death of 5 Palestinian civilians and the injury of 7 others, including a father and 2 of his children. Two of the victims Itemad Ismail Abu Mo’ammar (35), and Mohammad Suliman Abu Mo’ammar (28), were killed in cold blood in Rafah. They were left to bleed to death inside their houses. The other 3 victims, Ala Saqer Dahrouj Abu Dahrouj (15); Zeidan Rafiq Mohammad Abu Rashid (16); and Mohammad Selmi Mohammad Masalha (17) were children from the town of Jabalia who were killed by a surface-to-surface rocket as they were herding sheep.
The systematic ongoing aggression on the Gaza Strip for the past three months, which inflicted hundreds of casualties among the civilian population and great material damage on civilian property and infrastructure, indicates that human rights violations are an accepted part of IOD operations.
I strongly urge the international community and High Contracting Parties of the Fourth Geneva Convention to
· intervene immediately and effectively to protect Palestinian civilians from the escalating use of force by IOF;
· pressure the Israeli government :
· to immediately conduct prompt and impartial investigations into the killings of Itemad Ismail Abu Mo’ammar (35), Mohammad Suliman Abu Mo’ammar (28), Ala Saqer Dahrouj Abu Dahrouj (15); Zeidan Rafiq Mohammad Abu Rashid (16); Mohammad Selmi Mohammad Masalha (17) and, where the findings so warrant, to prosecute and punish perpetrators, including senior officials.
· to formally put on public record its opposition to human rights violations such as unlawful killings, including extrajudicial executions, arbitrary arrests and detention, and torture. A clear message should be given to members of the security forces that such violations will not be tolerated under any circumstances and that those found to be responsible for such violations will be brought to justice.
· to instruct all IOF personnel that they have the right and duty to refuse to obey any order to participate in human rights violations. An order from a superior officer or a public authority must never be invoked as a justification for a human rights violation. All officials must be made aware that they will face criminal prosecution for such acts.
· to ensure that crimes against women and children are not committed under any circumstances and the violation of the rights of women and children will not be tolerated.
· to ensure that no action should be undertaken by IOF which in any way inhibits the supply and delivery of humanitarian aid, including medical care to the civilian population.
Copies sent to:
Mr AMIR PERETZ , Minister for Defense, firstname.lastname@example.org
H.E. NASSER AL-KIDWA, Ambassador, Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine, email@example.com
Ms LOUISE ARBOUR High Commissioner for Human Rights firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. YAKIN ERTURK, UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, email@example.com,
Mr ADAMOS ADAMOU, Chairman, EU Delegation for the relations with the Palestinian Legislative Council firstname.lastname@example.org
JUSTICE For PALESTINE MATTERS